Thursday, December 4, 2008

Less news=less crab-ass

It was about 2 years ago when I found myself part of the XM Nation. I'd snagged a free subscription with my wheels and discovered that I totally dug it! Channels filled with specific genres of music, talk, politics, and then some! I loved the 90s on 9 for always taking me back to my college days. I dug the grungier stuff on Ethel and Lucy, igniting memories of my old Doc Martins and flannel. I loved the morning Bob Edwards and the afternoon Leonard Lopate. I enjoyed Mr. Mart's X Country.


I tried to quit the Nation, but like a cult, I'd already been assimilated. I cancelled my subscription, only to rejoin after a couple months. It had become a NEED. And like any good cult member, I set out to convert others and wrangled my husband into the fold.

But guilt was there and I started to feel it a year ago. The Nation felt so frivolous, such an unnecessary extra. But damn it! It was an election year and POTUS was giving me candidate info and race updates to and from work, keeping me posted until I could get home to tele! And lest I forget the 2 CNN channels (and I love me some Robin Meade and AC360). Was this frivolity? No!

With the election now over, not only has my POTUS interest dried up, but I've begun to experience how unhealthy it is for me to have all this news access. (Psst, most of the news out there is negative. Just so you know.)

As with many maladies, the symptoms don't surface until the disease has been simmering awhile. Hindsight shows that the negativity in me had been building for months, but I didn't see it until I found myself in a ginormous shit sandwich, much of which was brought upon by my sarcastic, negative fearful self. Pain is a good motivator for me, and the pain of having ALL NEWS/ALL THE TIME was really starting to kick my ass.

And I think that's what really did it, though the merging of XM and Sirius didn't help. Yesterday, I cut the string and by the time I'd left work, I was no longer in the flock. I listened to NBC radio on my drive home from work. I took in Morning Edition on my way to coffee today. And I survived.

For this impressionable, easily influenced wack-job, less is definitely more.

Kisses!

5 comments:

  1. Mike in Virginia reports: I flew a couple weeks ago and United had canned XM on the plane. It was the ghost of XM Flight 26, dead on the ground but still alive in the friendly skies.

    I could go on all week about how shitty the new Sirius universe is. The latest insult: commercials on Emergency Alert Channel 247. How will I hear my wildfire safety tips now?

    ReplyDelete
  2. OK here is where you went wrong. NEWS CHANNELS! Period. I have XM and I love Lucy! Fred, XM Cafe, Bone Yard, Comedy Channel etc. I avoid the news channels like the plague. Which must explain why I still pay the 6.99 a month plan I'm on. It's worth it to me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. PS I have that Smashing Pumpkins CD too! and the Doc Martins are still in my closet...I think anyway.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Viva La 90s!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ah, the 90s... I miss the cozy flannel shirts, Docs, and Smashing Pumpkins! One of my favorite concerts was the Pumpkins' Aquatennial concert in Minneapolis back in '98.

    ReplyDelete

Wanna rub my belly!