Friday, January 9, 2009

I see your lips moving ...

Earlier this week I met with my new psychologist. I shared with him how the aforementioned reconciliation with my sisters took such a weight off my shoulders. When I added that I was utterly mystified by how different my memory of events was from my sisters', he sat me down for a test.

Called the IVA, it was a 20-minute computer test in which I clicked the mouse every time I saw or heard the number 1 (only numbers 1 and 2 were used). He said this was a tool to measure attention, not intellect. (Thank Madge!)

Afterward, he showed me the results, explaining that it indicated I was a visual learner. I learn much more efficiently if I'm reading or watching something rather than simply listening to a lecture. That said, he shared that my auditory responses were crazy low, in the 30's compared to the 100s that my visual responses were. What's this mean, you may ask?

Turns out, this would be a strong indicator of . . .

After dictating a quick letter to my shrink, he recommended I talk to him about Ritalin. Seriously?! The little devil part of my brain immediately pulled out a little Ren & Stimpy, "Yes, please."


So I did talk with the shrink about it. Fortunately, he's got a keen eye for Turbo's more compulsive nature and he'd hate to see me all spun out.Instead, there are some great auditory exercises to try before we consider medication. I don't put a whole lot of stock in the whole ADD thing. Personally, I think we're a nation of LAZY, too tired to accpet a child (or adult) as they are. Wanna know why I think that? Remember earlier this week, Mo's visit with her surgical team? After 3 hours of being shuffled from clinic to clinic, Mo had grown pretty tired (and hungry) and wasn't listening to the surgeon. His response? That we talk with our family doc about ADD. I know Mo can be a hand-full and I'm not making any excuses, but seriously?!

This thing with my own attention? Honestly, I think it's more about the type of learner I am. And as my shrink said, just being aware of this within myself with help sharpen my listening and focus. Now if I've offended any of you, I'm truly sorry, that was not my intention. I just found this to be a hell of a funny week. Even more so when I shared this information with sister K2 and learned she has similar attention "issues." The only difference is that she was sharp enough to realize this at an early age and compensate for it (over achiever).

Wanna know who's really laughing? Mr. Mart, who suddenly got all his arguments about my selective hearing validated. He thinks this is all just great! Peachy! Because he thinks he's right and I'm wrong. Well, talk to the hand, Mister! I still say, he's selective in what he tells me . . .

2 comments:

  1. Mike in Virginia writes: What about the dog?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm a visual learner, too -- as are my kids. My whole life, I've got to read it or look at a diagram . . . which is probably why I'm hopeless with long verbal directions.

    HA! I KNEW I wasn't a ditz! I'm just ADD!

    ReplyDelete

Wanna rub my belly!