Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Gettin' it right with Obama

I am not on a sugar high. In fact, I'm on a sugar low. No, it's an emotional hangover.

Like so many people I've talked to, Facebook posts I've skimmed, and blogs I've read, I was not alone yesterday in my fear that the election would get screwed over, again. Anyone remember 2000?

Despite my support for President Obama (mmm, feels so good), there was that part of me that had been kicked down, dismissed, disregarded, and overlooked by politicians and electoral colleges. Sure I hoped for change, but really? I must admit it: I did not believe it could happen. And I'm a white, Midwestern, middle-class, female feeling that way! I can only imagine what other demographics were feeling.

But in spite of such feelings, voting is something I've always done and knew I could not NOT do yesterday. And fortunately, millions of others flexed that muscle, too. And look! Look what we did! Change is coming!!! Change is happening!!! Change is upon us!!! Whoever would've thunk it?!

Other friends have posted portions of President Obama's (mmmmm) victory speech last night, so I won't waste space doing so here, but with Chicago only 3 hours away and a sister who lives there, what the hell was I thinking?! Why wasn't I in there!!!!

Because I lacked that fire of belief, that's why.

Eight years under Bush, when a popular vote said, "We want Gore," has drained me. A big glob of my moxy had been slowly eroded by Bush. I may have put on a strong face, but I was scared. Scared because I knew that if we didn't pull off this election, our country would be sucked off the planet into a vortex of hell like nothing we'd experienced before. Like Sarah Silverman stated in her Great Schlep, we'd be the assholes of the universe! (Yeah, I'm kind of a shiksa with my jew love. Don't worry, I married a Protestant.)

Anyway, thank God things have gone right, for once. Mmmm, make that left.

I'm so empty, ready to be filled up with the hope of President Obama (mmmmmm) and the crazy love between he and Michelle and their daughters, ready to ride this wave to heights never before reached! I'm ready!

3 comments:

  1. yeah!!!!!!! i love it! yipeee!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Want to be filled? Read The Audactiy of Hope, his book. Seriously!

    ReplyDelete
  3. i didn't realize i was just holding my breath after the last two elections...i agreee, it was scary. but now! i was so excited i couldn't get to sleep tuesday night! wow, what a great feeling to feel hopeful.

    ReplyDelete

Wanna rub my belly!