Friday, October 24, 2008

The flaw with going public

For many years now, I've been told that pain is the touchstone of growth. James Joyce said, "Mistakes are the portals of discovery."

When I first started this blog I couldn't explain the 'why' of it. Sure, I may have tried, but foresight is not my strong suit. Today I understand the 'why' behind this venture and it's as the subtitle says, "a dumping ground of one's own." This is my litter box, where I unload, where I stash, where I celebrate, and where I wallow. I have no intention of sounding like some poor, tortured, artsy-fartsy soul. Rather I must clarify THE point behind this space: healing.

I cannot speak for Jane Doe or Joe Schmoe, I can only speak for me and my need to "write it out." I'm sure you can dig up all sorts of personality traits and planetary alignments to argue why this be the case, but so what. The truth is, I write what I feel and what I feel is usually not something I hide all the best. This has its perks and drawbacks.

When I started The Litterbox, I was sending out my feelings in hopes of meeting others with similar passions or ideas or experiences; maybe connect with someone further along this journey. I was guarded, afraid of anyone learning my identity because I was letting EVERYTHING out. I was droppin' the F-bombs, knockin' the church, pissin' on the hierarchy, and just venting in a hugely freeing, no-holds-barred kinda way. And it felt good.

Initially, very few people knew of The Litterbox because I didn't want to offend anyone. The Litterbox was not intended to be a weapon of harm. Again, I created it at as a vehicle for healing and as the posts began to grow, so did my confidence. I began telling more people about it. Ego-maniac that I am (yes, I'm a spade), I thought some of my mates might be interested in the stuff I was penning. Recently, I even linked some posts to my Facebook profile. In hindsight, this was not the most thought-out act.

For the first time, my identity was publicly linked to The Litterbox. I was okay with that, I didn't think I had anything to hide. Unfortunately, I'd forgotten about some earlier venting and joking I'd done at the expense of family. Yup. I fucked up, again. Months ago, hurting over long-time drama, I made some remarks about various family members. Whether they were real or imagined DOES NOT MATTER.

What matters is that by linking The Litterbox on Facebook, my family had access to all 90+ posts. The remarks were dug up and feelings were hurt. Justifiably so, and there's nothing I can do to take it back. Sure, I removed the offending posts from the blog. But this doesn't make things right. It doesn't right the wrongs done to my aunts or to my sisters or to my parents. "That horse has left the barn," a friend wrote me. I have done all I can and an "I'm sorry" just doesn't feel enough.

If there's one thing I do with The Litterbox, it's be real. I will continue to be real, to share my angst and frustrations and hurts and worries. I will continue to shout it, to show it, to sing it. I am human, I am flawed, I am fucked up, and I will never be quite right. And I'm learning to accept this about myself. I will continue to make mistakes for the rest of my days. And in spite of this, I know that I am a good person doing the very best that I can. Sometimes my best is fabulous. Sometimes my best sucks ass. But I can honestly say that I'm trying to do better, one moment, one lesson, at a time.


Much love to you all.

3 comments:

  1. Ya know I too have often thought "hmmm, maybe I should not say that." But lets be real, your blog fills the same need mine does. I am so happy you stumbled across my blog and I love your thoughts as much as my own. We are not so different you know, us "plains people" ie. midwest, catholic, yada yada. To connect with someone is soooo much better than noone. Even if sometime the family doesn't like what we say. I've been there. Hey your've actually seen pics of my family. Yes they don't always like what I say.
    Just keep saying it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Maybe it's better to get it all out there, even if it's painful.

    I mean, going with the litterbox example, how would you know if your kitty had worms without looking in the litterbox? And if you don't know she has worms, you can't get her the proper treatment, right?

    I mean, I'm sure you felt free to completely let loose with some possibly over-dramatic language or whatever, but at least it opens the lines of communication...

    ReplyDelete
  3. well this is a nice, honest and heartfelt post...one that i feel is not necessary because you are entitled to say whatever you want but i do realize that you have to make amends with some family members...but i hope from this point forward they (whomever was offended) can choose to read or not to read your blog. if they don't like what they have read in the past, then don't continue reading in the future! you are a better person than most for apologizing and moving forward! kudos to you jen!

    ReplyDelete

Wanna rub my belly!