Monday, October 13, 2008

The great caffeine experiment

I feel like a heroine addict a few hours after her last hit. Things are pretty calm right now, but I know it's gonna get bad. I'm taking a 30-day leave of my elixir of life: caffeine.

I have this thing, this tremor. I have my mother and her mother to thank for it. It's been increasing over the years. I'll be eating and I'll catch eyes staring at my right hand, fork shimmying above the plate. My sisters are the worst, they love to give me hell about it. "Geez, Jenny! See a doctor!"

Thing is, I have, and I remind them of it every time we're together. Recently, the four of us sisters got together for a flick Burn After Reading (marginal in terms of Cohen Brothers, but Pitt was hilarious). I commented on how my sister Angie's hands were so still. She looked at me and said, "Jen, this is normal. Your shake is not."

As with every other time, I assured her I've talked to my doctor and have been told that other than quitting the caffeine, there's nothing that can be done. "And I tried that, for a day, and it didn't help." Then she said it, "Have you tried it for a month?" I about choked on my Mountain Dew. "A month?! No caffeine for a month?!"

She dropped the issue, but it left me thinking, "It can't hurt to try." So here we go . . .

Part of me hopes it works, it would be nice to use the video camera again, cool to take the SLR off "shake" mode, even better to not have to wipe mascara from my eyebrows. But if it works, that means no yummo espresso from the Bialetti, no thirst-quenching bite from the infamous green can, no bottomless cup during my coffee hour with friends! But there are concessions I could make, I could switch to decaf (shhh, don't tell me if there are trace amounts) and I really shouldn't be drinking any pop in the first place. So it's not like my life would become completely desolate. . . Right?

7 comments:

  1. This post makes me smile.

    I was getting dizzy spells my first year at Iowa State, so I called my mother for advice. She asked me about my diet. I told her it inluded Mountain Dew and, if there was time, food service. She suggested I lay off the Mountain Dew. Wha???

    ReplyDelete
  2. hey! thanks for visiting my blog and happy anniversary! i admire you for giving up coffee - i just refuse to do it! i hope it goes well for you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Surely coffee is worth the tremors.

    ReplyDelete
  4. All right, you're hardcore. I don't think I can give up entirely, but as a show of solidarity with you, I am going to try to go from 2-3 cups a day to just 1 cup a day. I'm getting way too dependent on the juice and using it as a sleep substitute.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I quit Dew
    so can you.
    But I have not
    quit the brew.

    Good luck to you
    Decaff will just have to do.

    I'd quite the pears too!

    ReplyDelete
  6. okay-first of all- did you really see a doctor? i know how easy it is to blow these things off!! get it checked.

    my hubby was having bad heart murmers and anxxiey-he was a strong coofee drinker.

    he stopped. and took to drinking heavily brewed black tea. he hasn't had a problems since.

    once in awhile on weekends he has a cup of coffee. seems to be alright.

    good luck

    ReplyDelete
  7. i can't drink coffee-upsets my stomach and makes me freaky-i do swell with irish tea!!

    ReplyDelete

Wanna rub my belly!