Wednesday, October 8, 2008

How grey be the 'hard' & 'soft' of it

Who was it that said when a mother pushes out her child, nature pushes in the guilt? Obviously I've got a lot of it with Moira. She survived an early gestation with alcohol, survived alcohol-tainted breast milk, and even survived her mother's sobering up. I do not mean to write so flippantly of this, it is the reality Moira and I share.

And whenever I screw up now, my "internal critic" likes to unpack all that old guilt that I've tried to process and blow situations waaaayyyyy out of wack. Like, for instance, this new hole in Moira's mouth. Upon meeting with her doctor today, we learned that this type of opening may simply have occurred on its own. Her diet and the difference between "hard" and "soft" foods? Turns out, we were doing ok. According to the Otolaryngology Clinic, "soft" foods are "anything that doesn't crunch." Whew.

But what's this mean for Moira's mouth? Well, there remains some, if not all, of the bone graft. However, doctors won't know for sure until January when x-rays will determine whether or not it has taken root. In the meantime, we continue with the foods she's comfortable and get to take the oral care up a notch to include an antibiotic mouth rinse and use of a water pik. We'll know more in 2 weeks when we return.

3 comments:

  1. Moira looks like such a sweet girl. I'm here wishing I had some great wisdom to share with you.. I don't. I do know that when I worry, and I do so a lot because I get Anxiety, runs in the family, that everything has a way of working out in spite of our minds fearing the opposite. That time in this case heals all wounds physically and mentally.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Jen -- Thanks for your sharing. I hope you have a good report in a couple weeks, and that this most recent report has relieved some of that guilt you were carrying. Don't let it bring you down, girl! You're a great mom! Believe it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. hi ya jen-you are a strong woman. honor your self for quitting the booze. that's a tuff one. and you are doing it. don't beat yourself up!

    do you have a food processor you can grind up her food?

    home made soup is the susentance of life-you can live on it!!!

    ReplyDelete

Wanna rub my belly!