Wednesday, March 19, 2008

I'm angry and I need me some Gabrielle

Ok, so I've been hermitting a bit. Just takin' some time off. I feel bad, like I may have mislead people into thinking I'm "all edge and angst, all the time." When really, I'm not. At least not all the time. I'm so not cool, I'm really just a sporadic bitcher. And I feel like doing a little of that today.

So as I cracked open the b..b...bible today to get back at my chapter-a-day read, I got really rankled by the 5th Chapter of Matthew. As I read, I kept repeating to myself "Goldilocks and the 3 Bears," "Goldilocks and the 3 Bears" because that's the approach I'm trying to maintain toward this hugely followed piece of . . . literature. Don't worry, not going into it, just setting the tone.

Anyway, I abandon my hovel a little icked, mildly ewed, a touch pissy over this Jesus Christ bullshit and head for coffee with friends. And the topic of conversation is "a power greater than yourself." Great. And then someone read about one person, having found said power, was stripped of everything of value: love, money, property, even his kids. Fuck, that stuff scares the shit outta me!

So I shared my beliefs/opinions about said fear and that I will probably always be somewhat of an agnostic because to be gnostic would be to have complete knowledge and I'm not ignorant enough to believe that's possible. Anyway, a few nervy people tossed at me a nugget or two of their "Yeah, Jesus!" Christian bullshit. As if I honestly give a shit whether they attend church and carry some fake fucking cross on Good Friday!

I need me some angel Gabrielle, because if Gabrielle wants to roller blade, Gabrielle roller blades!

3 comments:

  1. I always found the label "apostate" to be rather flattering, though my Muslim friend meant it as a reproach. "Militant Agnostic" is fun too, as in "I don't know and neither do you so STFU and get off your knees". Never cared for "Atheist" since it only references a lack of inanity. But I do like the quip "An agnostic is just an atheist with no balls." I like the idea of a roller blading deity, like Olivia Newton John in Xanadu? Or is that before your time?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mmmmmmm, chocolate Jeebus! I like to bite the little ears off first....

    ReplyDelete
  3. Do you have a link for that bit? I haven't seen nearly as much David Cross as I would like to... he reminds me of a really enthusiastic high school science teacher.

    ReplyDelete

Wanna rub my belly!